From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 18:59:50
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:05:25AM -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >> Bruce Hill wrote:
5 >>
6 >> <<< SNIP >>>
7 >> > No initrd...
8 >>
9 >> YET!!! ROFL
10 >>
11 >> When eudev goes stable, then we can disregard that yet. ;-)
12 >>
13 >> Dale
14 >
15 > devfs still works wonderfully ... for principle, if no other reason, that file
16 > server will *NEVER* have an initrd image
17
18 You shouldn't need to wait for eudev.
19
20 Technically any early mount system configured and done _before_ udev
21 should do the trick. I mean, it's not like udev is even *essential*
22 for boot - that we happen to depend on it is just a matter of
23 convenience. Shouldn't be hard to write an rc script that does just
24 that for anyone that hates init thingies bad enough. Just hardcode an
25 n-second sleep and plug in the kernel detected device name. Do rc
26 scripts count as "init thingies"? :)
27 --
28 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
29 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
30 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none