From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 01:56:18
1 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Bruce Hill
3 > <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:05:25AM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 >>> Bruce Hill wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> <<< SNIP >>>
8 >>>> No initrd...
9 >>> YET!!! ROFL
10 >>>
11 >>> When eudev goes stable, then we can disregard that yet. ;-)
12 >>>
13 >>> Dale
14 >> devfs still works wonderfully ... for principle, if no other reason, that file
15 >> server will *NEVER* have an initrd image
16 > You shouldn't need to wait for eudev.
17 >
18 > Technically any early mount system configured and done _before_ udev
19 > should do the trick. I mean, it's not like udev is even *essential*
20 > for boot - that we happen to depend on it is just a matter of
21 > convenience. Shouldn't be hard to write an rc script that does just
22 > that for anyone that hates init thingies bad enough. Just hardcode an
23 > n-second sleep and plug in the kernel detected device name. Do rc
24 > scripts count as "init thingies"? :)
25 > --
26 > This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
27 > Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
28 > Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none
33 Is that what eudev is going to do? I follow -dev and according to the
34 eudev people they are going to support a separate /usr with no init
35 thingy. So, they have a plan to do this. From what they were posting,
36 they seem pretty sure they can do this.
37
38 I'm just waiting on eudev to get stable. It was posted that the one in
39 the tree still needs a couple fixes and then it will be ready for some
40 testing. Heck, I'll gladly test it whenever they say it boots and KDE
41 will work. Heck, just booting is a good start. lol
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!