From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dvdrip help
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:44:21
1 I'll try that out. I'm using a laptop with a pentium M though.
2
3 On 3/8/06, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch> wrote:
4 > On Wednesday 08 March 2006 22.32, Mike Myers wrote:
5 > > Hey everybody!
6 > >
7 > > I'm trying to find something that I can use to rip and then remake
8 > > DVDs. I have some japanese dvds that won't play on almost any regular
9 > > dvd players because of the stupid region thing. K3b didn't seem to have
10 > > anything for doing that, so I tried dvdrip/dvd::rip. Whenever I run
11 > > dvdrip, it just goes to the next line and says "[filterlist]
12 > > (re)scanning transcode's module path /usr/lib/transcode..." and sits
13 > > there for as long as I let it without actually doing anything. I can't
14 > > seem to find anything to skip that process or anything.
15 > >
16 > > Can somebody please recommend another tool or show me how to fix
17 > > dvdrip? I'd really like to watch these dvds from something other than
18 > > my laptop.
19 > >
20 > > Thanks a lot in advance,
21 > > Mikey
22 >
23 > Are you running an amd64 Gentoo? I have the same DVDrip problem here. My
24 > solution has been to emerge Acidrip and Mplayer - it is masked, but I have
25 > run into no problem so far, the results are as good as those I had with
26 > DVDrip/transcode and much faster.
27 > I have discovered it uses a newer codec however (FMP4) that prevents viewing
28 > the videos on older Xine install, but installing mplayer and/or vlc on those
29 > machines is a workaround. I guess it's a problem of building XIne with the
30 > right libraries but not every distribution makes it as easy as re-emerging in
31 > Gentoo. Xine on Gentoo amd64 works however.
32 >
33 > Now putting the video back on a DVD is another problem. I've been playing with
34 > DVDauthor so far but my standalone players won't play the DVDs (that do play
35 > on computers however...)
36 >
37 > Thierry
38 >
39 > --
40 > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
41 > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
42 > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
43 > Frank Zappa
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
51 Mike Myers