From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 21:49:40
1 On 07/12/17 21:37, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Ooooh, I just came up with another good reason for raidz over mirror:
3 > I don't encrypt my drives because it doesn't hold sensitive stuff. (AFAIK
4 > native ZFS encryption is available in Oracle ZFS, so it might eventually
5 > come to the Linux world).
6 >
7 > So in case I ever need to send in a drive for repair/replacement, noone can
8 > read from it (or only in tiny bits'n'pieces from a hexdump), because each
9 > disk contains a mix of data and parity blocks.
10 >
11 > I think I'm finally sold. :)
12 > And with that, good night.
13
14 So you've never heard of LUKS?
15
16 GPT
17 LUKS
18 MD-RAID
19 Filesystem
20
21 Simple stack so if you ever have to pull a disk, just delete the LUKS
22 key from it and everything from that disk is now random garbage.
23
24 (Oh - and md raid-5/6 also mix data and parity, so the same holds true
25 there.)
26
27 Cheers,
28 Wol