From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 21:38:27
1 On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 07:29:08PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 06:35:10PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> IMO the cost savings for parity RAID trumps everything unless money
6 > >> just isn't a factor.
7 > >
8 > > Cost saving compared to what? In my four-bay-scenario, mirror and raidz2
9 > > yield the same available space (I hope so).
12 > Sure, if you only have 4 drives and run raid6/z2 then it is no more
13 > efficient than mirroring. That said, it does provide more security
14 > because raidz2 can tolerate the failure of any two disks, while
15 > 2xraid1 or raid10 can tolerate only half of the combinations of two
16 > disks.
19 Ooooh, I just came up with another good reason for raidz over mirror:
20 I don't encrypt my drives because it doesn't hold sensitive stuff. (AFAIK
21 native ZFS encryption is available in Oracle ZFS, so it might eventually
22 come to the Linux world).
23
24 So in case I ever need to send in a drive for repair/replacement, noone can
25 read from it (or only in tiny bits'n'pieces from a hexdump), because each
26 disk contains a mix of data and parity blocks.
27
28 I think I'm finally sold. :)
29 And with that, good night.
32 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
33 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
34
35 “I think Leopard is a much better system [than Windows Vista] … but OS X in
36 some ways is actually worse than Windows to program for. Their file system is
37 complete and utter crap, which is scary.” – Linus Torvalds