From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 16:52:52
1 On 07/06/21 14:11, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:25:55 +0200, n952162 wrote:
3 >
4 >>> You could also look at using distcc if you have more than one machine
5 >>> to spread the load.
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Ah, that's also interesting ... that's like an alternative to a local
10 >> binary server (which I'm currently doing) - the compilations are
11 >> distributed on all nodes in the network - and then, presumably are also
12 >> available to all nodes? ...
13 >
14 > The compilation is distributed but the result is only available to the
15 > host running emerge. However, if you set FEATURES=buildpkg and set
16 > $PKGDIR to a shared directory, you could use the same binaries on other
17 > systems, provided they are set up the same.
20 That's roughly what I did - with two systems, they were set up to build
21 compatible packages, and store all the gentoo stuff on shared drives. So
22 depending on which one I rebuilt when, they often upgraded from binary
23 packages built by the other machine.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Wol