From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:34:26
1 On 26/04/2013 19:11, Nick Khamis wrote:
2 >>> >> Thank you so much for your response, and I totally understand the
3 >>> >> effort vs. benefit challenge. However, is it really that much
4 >>> >> trouble/unstable to setup our own ntp
5 >>> >> server that syncs with our local isp, and have our internal network sync
6 >>> >> on it?
7 >> >
8 >> >
9 >> > No, it's not THAT much effort. You can get by with installing ntpd on a
10 >> > single machine, pointing it at the upstream time server and pointing all
11 >> > your clients to it. It's clearly recorded in the config file, you can't
12 >> > go wrong.
13 >> >
14 >> > It's understanding how this weird thing called time works that is the
15 >> > issue. Take for example leap seconds..... urggggggggggg...
16 >> >
17 >> > The basic question I suppose is why do you want to do it this way? What
18 >> > do you feel you will gain by doing it yourself?
19 >> >
20 >> >
21 >> > --
22 >> > Alan McKinnon
23 >> > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
24 >> >
25 >> >
26 >> >
27 > Hello Alan,
28 >
29 > Thank you so much for your time. Our voip cluster time always vary for
30 > some reason....
31 > And with long distance, that could mean upwards to a dollar a call.
34 Ah, OK. That changes things quite a bit. I have a little bit of
35 experience with that - I work for a large ISP, we have a large VOIP
36 department and we run a stratum 2 time server that serves most of the
37 country.
38
39 First things first: you can't just stick any old upstream ntp server in
40 your config and walk away. You are then reliant on the quality of that
41 upstream, and far too often other time servers operate on a "good
42 enough" policy - if it's accurate to about a second, it's good enough
43 (and for desktop users i.e. most ISP clients, it is good enough).
44
45 I don't know how big your operation is, if you have budget I suggest you
46 invest in a proper master time source that is GPS-driven. We have a
47 Symmetricom (http://www.symmetricom.com) but it's a mature market with
48 several vendors. Shop around, prices are less than you'd expect (about
49 the same as a decent mid-range server and much less than Cisco's routers...)
50
51 Weather can get in the way, so back up the device with a decent second
52 upstream. I have a good one available run by the Science and Technology
53 Research part of the Dept of Trade and Industry and the third option is
54 all the other big ISPs around.
55
56 Depending on your accuracy needs you could get away without the GPS unit
57 and just use a good upstream, but I'd fight for the budget for it - tell
58 management it puts control of billing back in your hands, they always
59 fall for that one :-)
60
61 So the summary would be that I reckon ntpd will do what you want as long
62 as you chose good reliable time sources. With that in hand, the config
63 is easy as rather well documented. Shout here ont he list if you need a
64 hand with this when you come to deployment time
70 Alan McKinnon
71 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com