From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 21:28:38
1 On 4/26/13, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 26/04/2013 19:11, Nick Khamis wrote:
3 >>>> >> Thank you so much for your response, and I totally understand the
4 >>>> >> effort vs. benefit challenge. However, is it really that much
5 >>>> >> trouble/unstable to setup our own ntp
6 >>>> >> server that syncs with our local isp, and have our internal network
7 >>>> >> sync
8 >>>> >> on it?
9 >>> >
10 >>> >
11 >>> > No, it's not THAT much effort. You can get by with installing ntpd on
12 >>> > a
13 >>> > single machine, pointing it at the upstream time server and pointing
14 >>> > all
15 >>> > your clients to it. It's clearly recorded in the config file, you
16 >>> > can't
17 >>> > go wrong.
18 >>> >
19 >>> > It's understanding how this weird thing called time works that is the
20 >>> > issue. Take for example leap seconds..... urggggggggggg...
21 >>> >
22 >>> > The basic question I suppose is why do you want to do it this way?
23 >>> > What
24 >>> > do you feel you will gain by doing it yourself?
25 >>> >
26 >>> >
27 >>> > --
28 >>> > Alan McKinnon
29 >>> > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
30 >>> >
31 >>> >
32 >>> >
33 >> Hello Alan,
34 >>
35 >> Thank you so much for your time. Our voip cluster time always vary for
36 >> some reason....
37 >> And with long distance, that could mean upwards to a dollar a call.
40 > Ah, OK. That changes things quite a bit. I have a little bit of
41 > experience with that - I work for a large ISP, we have a large VOIP
42 > department and we run a stratum 2 time server that serves most of the
43 > country.
44 >
45 > First things first: you can't just stick any old upstream ntp server in
46 > your config and walk away. You are then reliant on the quality of that
47 > upstream, and far too often other time servers operate on a "good
48 > enough" policy - if it's accurate to about a second, it's good enough
49 > (and for desktop users i.e. most ISP clients, it is good enough).
50 >
51 > I don't know how big your operation is, if you have budget I suggest you
52 > invest in a proper master time source that is GPS-driven. We have a
53 > Symmetricom (http://www.symmetricom.com) but it's a mature market with
54 > several vendors. Shop around, prices are less than you'd expect (about
55 > the same as a decent mid-range server and much less than Cisco's
56 > routers...)
57 >
58 > Weather can get in the way, so back up the device with a decent second
59 > upstream. I have a good one available run by the Science and Technology
60 > Research part of the Dept of Trade and Industry and the third option is
61 > all the other big ISPs around.
62 >
63 > Depending on your accuracy needs you could get away without the GPS unit
64 > and just use a good upstream, but I'd fight for the budget for it - tell
65 > management it puts control of billing back in your hands, they always
66 > fall for that one :-)
67 >
68 > So the summary would be that I reckon ntpd will do what you want as long
69 > as you chose good reliable time sources. With that in hand, the config
70 > is easy as rather well documented. Shout here ont he list if you need a
71 > hand with this when you come to deployment time
76 > --
77 > Alan McKinnon
78 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
83 Any suggestions for a "reliable", use that word cautiously ntp server.
84 Requests are coming from canada. Was there not a project that dealt
85 with setting up a network across the globe just for serving up NTP
86 services? Did that marvelous idea die out?
87
88 N.