From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:21:35
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:29:21 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >
5 >> 3. Other files proved missing as well
6 >>
7 >> I went to another machine which is multilib and copied the libssl from
8 >> the lib32 directory. Then it asked for libcrypto so I copied that
9 >> now it asks for libkrb5.so.3. After a few more iterations, I succeeded!
10 >>
11 >> But clearly something is wrong.
12 >>
13 >> It is NO problem for me to take this machine out of service for a few
14 >> days and run an emerge -e world. Are there risks in this?
15 >> Is there a better idea?
16 >
17 > If files are disappearing, I'd say fsck is needed more that emerge.
18
19 Thanks.
20
21 I suspected emerge since all the files seemed to be related to openssl and
22 everything else was working. But, as usual, you are doubtless right.
23
24 All files except root checked fine.
25
26 I used to do fsck on root via
27
28 mount -o remount,ro /dev/sdaX
29 e2fsck -f /dev/sdaX
30
31 But now the mount replies that / is busy.
32
33 I read the e2fsck man page. It says using -n is safe on a mounted file
34 system unless fsck itself tells you not to but you can't trust the
35 output.
36
37 The output was a few errors reported, but of course not fixed.
38
39 Then I read the source and found /forcefsck
40
41 This worked fine and the next reboot checked all filesystems and
42 reported no errors.
43
44 Should I now run emerge -e world? If so, I suppose I should stop cron
45 from running an emerge --sync during the night.
46
47 thanks again,
48 allan