From: Holger Hoffstaette <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Console won't un-blank
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:41:38
1 On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:02:13 -0400, Michael J. Barillier wrote:
2
3 > If I leave my laptop unattended (at a console, not X) and the screen
4 > blanks, pressing a key won't un-blank the terminal. As a test, I ssh'ed
5 > into the laptop and ran:
6 >
7 > # setterm -blank poke >/dev/tty$N
8 >
9 > (as root, for the current/active TTY) which according to the man page
10 > should restore the screen - no response. Also tried chvt but that didn't
11 > work either. Any suggestions on where to look to see why the terminal
12 > won't restore? Is this a kernel config (ACPI?) issue, or an agetty issue?
13
14 Very likely kernel or DRM subsystem. I have an T60 Thinkpad with old ATI
15 graphics and since kernel ~3.7.1 (approx.) it won't unblank any more, just
16 as you described. I tested some time ago with an early 3.10.x and it still
17 did not work. Everything works correctly on a second machine without KMS
18 (plain VESA) and a third system with newer Radeon card, so I always
19 attributed it to the stone age hardware and bitrot. There were quite a lot
20 of changes to the Radeon and DRM machinery over the last few kernel
21 releases.
22
23 In order to prevent this from locking me out I simply turned it off in
24 /etc/local.d/ like this (there might be a canonical way):
25
26 $cat /etc/local.d/consoleblank.start
27 # don't blank console - bug in 3.7.1
28 setterm -blank 0
29
30 You could try to bisect from 3.7.0 onwards.. :-)
31
32 cheers
33 -h