From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Console won't un-blank
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:03:07
1 On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:40:32PM +0200, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
2 > On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:02:13 -0400, Michael J. Barillier wrote:
3 >
4 > > If I leave my laptop unattended (at a console, not X) and the screen
5 > > blanks, pressing a key won't un-blank the terminal. As a test, I ssh'ed
6 > > into the laptop and ran:
7 > >
8 > > # setterm -blank poke >/dev/tty$N
9 >
10 > Very likely kernel or DRM subsystem. I have an T60 Thinkpad with old ATI
11 > graphics and since kernel ~3.7.1 (approx.) it won't unblank any more, just
12 > as you described. I tested some time ago with an early 3.10.x and it still
13 > did not work. Everything works correctly on a second machine without KMS
14 > (plain VESA) and a third system with newer Radeon card, so I always
15 > attributed it to the stone age hardware and bitrot. There were quite a lot
16 > of changes to the Radeon and DRM machinery over the last few kernel
17 > releases.
18
19 I have here a Samsung P30 (first Centrino generation) with a Radeon 9200
20 and radeon driver in KMS mode, Kernel 3.10.11. Unblanking works normal.
21 I [br]arely use that machine, only keep it up to date from time to time
22 in case I may need it in lieu of my normal laptop. So its setup is
23 fairly default stage3.
24 --
25 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
26 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
27
28 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.