From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:44:31
1 On Monday 26 May 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Monday 26 May 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
4 > > > On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:04:29 +0200
5 > > >
6 > > > Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 > > >> Mick wrote:
8 > > >>> There are other lists however, when
9 > > >>> it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to
10 > > >>> impersonate someone else and hijack their email address to publish
11 > > >>> offensive content. After a while using a digital signature (GnuPG
12 > > >>> or x509) becomes a habit.
13 > > >>
14 > > >> That's exactly the case. ;-)
15 > > >
16 > > > Two questions.
17 > > > How would signing your emails to this list help you:
18 > > > - in avoiding the above to happen to you?
19 > > > - help you in case that happens after all?
20 > > >
21 > > >
22 > > > Explain, please.
23 > >
24 > > The reason I have given above does not apply as much to this list (so
25 >
26 > far).
27 >
28 > > In any case, the principle is that unless I have signed this message you
29 > > cannot be sure that it was authored/sent by me and as a matter of
30 >
31 > course you
32 >
33 > > should assume that it was sent by someone else. You can then
34 >
35 > trust/distrust
36 >
37 > > the content of the message and the potential impact of any advice
38 >
39 > offered in
40 >
41 > > it accordingly.
42 > >
43 > > As far as this list is concerned singed messages don't cause any
44 >
45 > harm. Once
46 >
47 > > you set your client to sign messages, that's what it does . . .
48 >
49 > Just a word of caution:
50 >
51 > You can never fully trust even a signed message unless you have
52 > physically met the person in question and they have given you their key
53 > signature on some secure media such as a floppy disk. Downloaded keys
54 > from keyservers are not a guarantee that the key was made my the person
55 > in question. Unless I know the person well and they have provided means
56 > of verifying the key, I would only ever award marginal trust.
57
58 I've been to a couple of key signing parties at Gentoo events. All other
59 signatures (except for my wife's) are simply not trusted. When a signature
60 is shown as bad then the message in question is *definitely* not trusted. On
61 the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to accept as marginally trusted (a few)
62 posters who have been frequenting this M/L for yonks, have given
63 knowledgeable and reliable advice and have been showing the same fingerprint
64 for years.
65
66 Trust is a personal call - the digital signature is merely a means to
67 facilitate it.
68 --
69 Regards,
70 Mick