From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:27:48
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 May 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:04:29 +0200
4 > >
5 > > Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > >> Mick wrote:
7 >
8 > >>> There are other lists however, when
9 > >>> it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to
10 > >>> impersonate someone else and hijack their email address to publish
11 > >>> offensive content. After a while using a digital signature (GnuPG
12 > >>> or x509) becomes a habit.
13 > >> That's exactly the case. ;-)
14 > > Two questions.
15 > > How would signing your emails to this list help you:
16 > > - in avoiding the above to happen to you?
17 > > - help you in case that happens after all?
20 > > Explain, please.
21 >
22 > The reason I have given above does not apply as much to this list (so
23 far).
24 > In any case, the principle is that unless I have signed this message you
25 > cannot be sure that it was authored/sent by me and as a matter of
26 course you
27 > should assume that it was sent by someone else. You can then
28 trust/distrust
29 > the content of the message and the potential impact of any advice
30 offered in
31 > it accordingly.
32 >
33 > As far as this list is concerned singed messages don't cause any
34 harm. Once
35 > you set your client to sign messages, that's what it does . . .
36 >
37 Just a word of caution:
38
39 You can never fully trust even a signed message unless you have
40 physically met the person in question and they have given you their key
41 signature on some secure media such as a floppy disk. Downloaded keys
42 from keyservers are not a guarantee that the key was made my the person
43 in question. Unless I know the person well and they have provided means
44 of verifying the key, I would only ever award marginal trust.
47 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list