From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:17:09
1 On Monday 26 May 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:04:29 +0200
3 >
4 > Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Mick wrote:
6
7 > > > There are other lists however, when
8 > > > it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to
9 > > > impersonate someone else and hijack their email address to publish
10 > > > offensive content. After a while using a digital signature (GnuPG
11 > > > or x509) becomes a habit.
12 > >
13 > > That's exactly the case. ;-)
14 >
15 > Two questions.
16 > How would signing your emails to this list help you:
17 > - in avoiding the above to happen to you?
18 > - help you in case that happens after all?
21 > Explain, please.
22
23 The reason I have given above does not apply as much to this list (so far).
24 In any case, the principle is that unless I have signed this message you
25 cannot be sure that it was authored/sent by me and as a matter of course you
26 should assume that it was sent by someone else. You can then trust/distrust
27 the content of the message and the potential impact of any advice offered in
28 it accordingly.
29
30 As far as this list is concerned singed messages don't cause any harm. Once
31 you set your client to sign messages, that's what it does . . .
34 Regards,
35 Mick