From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 05:28:35
1 On Mon, 26 May 2008 16:16:47 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Monday 26 May 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:04:29 +0200
6 > >
7 > > Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > Mick wrote:
9 >
10 > > > > There are other lists however, when
11 > > > > it is not that rare for malicious (or unhinged) individuals to
12 > > > > impersonate someone else and hijack their email address to
13 > > > > publish offensive content. After a while using a digital
14 > > > > signature (GnuPG or x509) becomes a habit.
15 > > >
16 > > > That's exactly the case. ;-)
17 > >
18 > > Two questions.
19 > > How would signing your emails to this list help you:
20 > > - in avoiding the above to happen to you?
21 > > - help you in case that happens after all?
24 > > Explain, please.
25 >
26 > The reason I have given above does not apply as much to this list (so
27 > far). In any case, the principle is that unless I have signed this
28 > message you cannot be sure that it was authored/sent by me and as a
29 > matter of course you should assume that it was sent by someone else.
30 > You can then trust/distrust the content of the message and the
31 > potential impact of any advice offered in it accordingly.
32 >
33 > As far as this list is concerned singed messages don't cause any
34 > harm. Once you set your client to sign messages, that's what it
35 > does . . .
39 My point is that digital signatures are not designed to spare any
40 troubles, just the opposite. The idea is to deprive the sender of
41 opportunity to say "that's not a message of mine" and the sole purpose
42 of digital signatures is to provide a means of verifying the origin [1]
43 and integrity [2] of a message.
44
45 1. Trouble saving
46 Will signatures help if a mailing list (ML) receives spam?
47 No. The admins won't accept arguments like "Those mails weren't signed,
48 it's not me". Signature or not the address gets its ban and that's it.
49
50 2. Origin authentication
51 MLs like this one are nothing but bunch of people who help each other
52 on voluntary basis w/o knowing each other in person.
53 Hence no need for [1].
54
55 3. Integrity
56 Besides the few very obvious exceptions there is no person that has the
57 opportunity to alter all messages. In public places like MLs, web
58 forums, etc the correct answer usually comes out after a discussion
59 involving several people. So, tempering with single person's messages
60 is pointless. Hence no need for [2]
61
62 4. Unavailability
63 I can't verify the validity of the signatures, even if I wished to,
64 because I don't have the corresponding public keys.
65
66 5. Trust
67 Even if all public keys were easily obtainable and I had the wish to
68 install them, are all of them signed by a certificate authorities which
69 I trust?
72 Bottom line: I see no reason for signing messages to MLs like this one.
76 Best regards,
77 Daniel
78 --
79 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list