From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:34:35
1 On Tue, 27 May 2008 08:28:27 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2
3 > 1. Trouble saving
4 > Will signatures help if a mailing list (ML) receives spam?
5 > No. The admins won't accept arguments like "Those mails weren't signed,
6 > it's not me". Signature or not the address gets its ban and that's it.
7
8 Is that true of every list? Do you know every list's owner or policy?
9 It's not only about spam and banning anyway. Someone could try to
10 discredit you by posting inflammatory, abusive, racist or otherwise
11 unacceptable posts in your name. If every post you send to the list is
12 signed, those unsigned messages lose credibility. By signing all
13 messages, you are effectively saying "If I didn't sign it, I didn't send
14 it".
15
16 Of course, this all falls apart on lame listservs like Yahoo Groups that
17 strip all attachments, including PGP signatures.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 I heard someone tried the monkeys-on-typewriters bit trying for the plays
24 of W. Shakespeare but all they got was the collected works of Francis
25 Bacon