From: Wolf Canis <wolf.canis@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:27:17
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Daniel Iliev wrote:
5 > My point is that digital signatures are not designed to spare any
6 > troubles, just the opposite. The idea is to deprive the sender of
7 > opportunity to say "that's not a message of mine" and the sole purpose
8 > of digital signatures is to provide a means of verifying the origin [1]
9 > and integrity [2] of a message.
10
11 Agreed.
14 > 1. Trouble saving
15 > Will signatures help if a mailing list (ML) receives spam?
16 > No. The admins won't accept arguments like "Those mails weren't signed,
17 > it's not me". Signature or not the address gets its ban and that's it.
18
19 Agreed, because of the way the subscription process works. The way how
20 someone subscribed to a list is _only_ with a e-mail address. This would
21 change if the subscription process would demand a signature.
24 > 2. Origin authentication
25 > MLs like this one are nothing but bunch of people who help each other
26 > on voluntary basis w/o knowing each other in person.
27
28 Agreed.
29
30 > Hence no need for [1].
31
32 No fully agreed, because if someone is signing his messages, all other
33 subscribers have the possibility to see whether it's the same person or
34 not. Not in the sense of real live identity but at least same Nick or
35 Name. In my case for example "Wolf Canis". Would know a message reach
36 the ML with my Name but no signature or a different signature, could one
37 relatively be sure about the fact that this particular message is not
38 from the original "Wolf Canis".
41 > 3. Integrity
42 > Besides the few very obvious exceptions there is no person that has the
43 > opportunity to alter all messages. In public places like MLs, web
44 > forums, etc the correct answer usually comes out after a discussion
45 > involving several people. So, tempering with single person's messages
46 > is pointless. Hence no need for [2]
47
48 Except if the message is malicious, abusive etc.
51 > 4. Unavailability
52 > I can't verify the validity of the signatures, even if I wished to,
53 > because I don't have the corresponding public keys.
54
55 Why not? Every public key is downloadable, except one created a key
56 and forgot to upload the public key, in this case is his/her signature
57 pointless.
60 > 5. Trust
61 > Even if all public keys were easily obtainable and I had the wish to
62 > install them, are all of them signed by a certificate authorities which
63 > I trust?
64
65 Agreed but I would say that we have to differentiate between real live
66 and virtual live. Both of them can or can not trustful.
70 > Bottom line: I see no reason for signing messages to MLs like this one.
71
72 Disagree, because of the possibility that without signatures it's
73 relatively easy to bring a subscriber into discredit.
76 W. Canis
85 --
86 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list