From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:34:15
1 Thanks for the reply Alan...
2
3 On 2013-04-20 11:33 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > If VMWare gives you a really shitty host driver, then something
5 > really shitty is going to be the best you can achieve.
6
7 The host is a Dell R515 with the Perc H700.
8
9 Windows VMs see get an 'LSI Logic SAS', and my gentoo VM gets an 'LSI
10 Logic Parallel' controller.
11
12 All disks are 15k rpm SAS (6G) drives.
13
14 > Disks aren't like eg NICs, you can't easily virtualize them and give the
15 > guest exclusive access in the style of para-virtualization (I can't
16 > imagine how that would even be done).
17 >
18 > You also didn't mention what mail server you use - implementations vary
19 > a great deal. Gut feel tells me that unless you are dealing with many
20 > 1000s of mails in a short period you won't really need XFS's aggressive
21 > caching.
22
23 Postfix+dovecot, still debating between maildir or mdbox, leaning toward
24 mdbox.