From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best filesystem for virtualized gentoo mail server - WAS: vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:34:41
1 On 20/04/2013 17:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Thanks for the responses so far...
3 >
4 > Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
5 > for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
6 > issues/questions apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not
7 > change anything)?
8 >
9 > If there are none, I'm curious what others prefer.
10 >
11 > I've been using reiserfs on my old mail server since it was first set up
12 > (over 8 years ago). I have had no issues with it whatsoever, and even
13 > had one scare with a bad UPS causing the system to experienc an unclean
14 > shutdown - but it came back up, auto fsck'd, and there was no 'apparent'
15 > data loss (this was a very long time ago, so if there had been any
16 > serious problems, I'd have known about it long go).
17 >
18 > I've been considering using XFS, but have never used it before.
19 >
20 > So, anyway, opinions are welcome...
23 Virtualization can change things, and it's not really intuitive.
24
25 Regardless of what optimizations you apply to the VM, and regardless of
26 what kind of virtualization is in use on the host, you are still going
27 to be bound by the disk and fs behaviour of the host. If VMWare gives
28 you a really shitty host driver, then something really shitty is going
29 to be the best you can achieve.
30
31 Disks aren't like eg NICs, you can't easily virtualize them and give the
32 guest exclusive access in the style of para-virtualization (I can't
33 imagine how that would even be done).
34
35 You also didn't mention what mail server you use - implementations vary
36 a great deal. Gut feel tells me that unless you are dealing with many
37 1000s of mails in a short period you won't really need XFS's aggressive
38 caching. But I'm happy to be proved wrong and numbers tell the truth :-)
39
40 I think the best you will get here is a list of combinations that are
41 unlikely to suit, and you will have to do your own extensive testing to
42 find what works best in your area.
43
44 FWIW, I have two mail relays (no mail storage) running old postfix
45 versions on FreeBSD. I expected throughput to differ when virtualized on
46 ESXi, but in practice I couldn't see a difference at all - maybe the
47 mail servers were very under-utilized. Considering this pair deal with
48 anything between 500,000 to a million mails a day total, I would not
49 have considered them "under-utilized". Just goes to show how opinions
50 are often worthless but numbers buys the whiskey :-)
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com