From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 2 deprecation
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 05:27:23
1 On 1/25/20 9:59 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I have removed all syntax/expressions from
5 >> /etc/portage/make.conf
6 >>
7 >> related to python; hoping python-2 would just die a natural, slow and
8 >> painless (for me) death, on this ancient gentoo install.
9 >>
10 >> Any and all comments related to what to check/do are most welcome,
11 >> related to removing python-2*
12 >
13 > Disclaimer: I'm not involved with the python team, so details could
14 > change around this...
15 >
16 > Right now that is your best bet. If you don't care about python,
17 > avoid specifying python-related flags in your config files. Then
18 > portage will just apply defaults wherever possible. It doesn't always
19 > work, but that is mainly when packages can only support one version of
20 > python at a time (which isn't too many of them).
21 >
22 > As long as you aren't going crazy with accepting keywords then the
23 > profiles should be updated so that python versions are removed only
24 > after all the packages that depend on them have been removed, ideally
25 > with newer v3 packages having been stabilized. I suspect this process
26 > will drag out for months as everybody involved realizes that migrating
27 > can be painful but it has to be done, so expect packages to steadily
28 > get masked and to see v2 stuff start disappearing once the packages
29 > that depend on them are gone. Users can always do overlays if they
30 > want to maintain their own v2 forks, but I suspect this will be a lot
31 > of work. Maybe somebody will step up and do it but I'm not seeing
32 > many signs of it.
33 >
34 > Some packages in Gentoo just aren't super well-maintained and so
35 > upstream might have v3 packages that aren't in the repo. Bugs and
36 > especially pull requests will doubtless be welcomed in these cases.
37 > Just about every major distro is pushing to get rid of v2 so upstreams
38 > that are dragging their feet are going to have motivation to fix
39 > things or they just won't have any users left.
40 >
41 > I'm sure at some point there will be a news announcement if users
42 > actually need to do anything. I doubt the rug will just get pulled
43 > out from under you. Even the package masks can be unmasked for 30
44 > days until the packages start getting pulled which gives you a bit of
45 > pain-free time to deal with it.
48 Thx Rich.
49
50 James