From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Selso DaSilva <selsok@×××××.com>, 501techclub-ny@×××××××××××.org, lilug@×××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: Free Software Hackers/Tweakers needed for Install Project
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:47:19
1 On Thursday 19 October 2006 18:20, Selso DaSilva wrote:
5 > Third we put X, on the system and tweak it. Next we use a
6 > low memory but simple to use window manager.
7 > MC: I am sill not sure on which version of Xorg I want to
8 > use 6.9 or 7.1. The window managers I had in mind were
9 > black box, fluxbox, Xfce, icewm, window maker, and
10 > gnome (depending on memory).
11
12 since memory is a problem, gnome is the wrong choice. It is the biggest memory
13 hog of all:
14 http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/
15
16 Since you certainly want some sort of kiosk mode, so the children can not
17 destroy the installation, you also want a DE with a working Kiosk-mode
18 implementation. Gnome's sucks. KDE's works:
19 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=kde-devel&m=116072498907866&w=2
20
21 > Gnome Office http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/
22
23 There is no 'gnome office' - just a bunch of bad integrated apps.
24
25 Read the ktown-link, gnome+abiword needs more ram than kde+koffice.
26
27 > Open Office org http://www.openoffice.org/index.html
28
29 and you certainly don't want openoffice, which is incredibly slow AND bloated.
30 It needs ~100mb ram alone!
31
32 KDE has kdeedu - has gnome something similar?
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list