From: Selso DaSilva <selsok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, 501techclub-ny@×××××××××××.org, lilug@×××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fwd: Free Software Hackers/Tweakers needed for Install Project
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:24:59
1 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
2 From: Selso DaSilva <selsok@×××××.com>
3 Date: Oct 19, 2006 11:17 AM
4 Subject: Free Software Hackers/Tweakers needed for Install Project
5 To: cfsg-forum@××××.org, selsok@×××××.com
8 Hello world,
9 Right now CFSG has some computer hardware that it would like to
10 clean up and donate to kids. Of course we are going to use free
11 software, but because of the hardware specs (listed below) we
12 would need to tweak the hell out of it, and that where we need
13 your help. So please if you have the time and might be able to
14 provide the resources we might need please don't be shy, chime
15 in.
16
17 System Spec.
18 Dell Optiplex GXa,366MHz, 64MB - 128MB RAM,1 Gig - 6 Gig HD,
19 CDROM,onboard NIC,Sound Card,and Video.
20
21 The idea is simple(execution is a whole different story), I
22 will add "My Comments" (MC) at the end of each steps for the
23 "Install meet". We will be tweaking one to three systems, then
24 imaging the HD to the other systems. We have a total of 20 -
25 30 computers to Image when finished.
26
27 First we pick and OS, your choices are Gentoo or Debian.
28 MC: I am personally leaning towards debian because I know it
29 but we all know the benefits of Gentoo. But on hardware
30 this slow it would take us days maybe weeks to finish
31 the system.
32
33 Second we do a MINIMAL installation of the OS, so we could
34 recompile the kernel for the hardware and speed.
35 MC: For this we need a someone familiar with the kernel in the
36 OS of choice. I personally know 2.4 for debian best, but
37 I would like to use 2.6 seeing how stable it has become.
38 Also because it detects hardware a little better than 2.4,
39 at least for me.
40
41 Third we put X, on the system and tweak it. Next we use a
42 low memory but simple to use window manager.
43 MC: I am sill not sure on which version of Xorg I want to
44 use 6.9 or 7.1. The window managers I had in mind were
45 black box, fluxbox, Xfce, icewm, window maker, and
46 gnome (depending on memory).
47
48 Fourth we install and tweak the applications.
49 MC: This is tricky because the applications, I would like to
50 use is follow
51
52 For a Day Care center
53 gcompris http://gcompris.net/-en-
54 child's play http://childsplay.sourceforge.net/
55 TuxType http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/
56 Tux Paint http://www.tux paint.org/
57 bugsquish http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bugsquish/
58 Brickout http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/brickout/
59 Frozen Bubble http://www.frozen-bubble.org/
60 Linux Letters and Numbers http://lln.sourceforge.net/
61 and other little games.
62
63 Of course the web browser we use, should be able to view
64 these web sites.
65 http://nickjr.com
66 http://pbskids.org/sesame/
67 http://www.noggin.com/
68
69 For a office work station,we need a word processor,
70 spread sheet, email client, spell checker, web browser,
71 PDF/PS viewer/maker, calender, IM client, and something
72 to edit graphics.
73
74 Gnome Office http://www.gnome.org/gnome-office/
75 Balsa http://balsa.gnome.org/
76 Sylpheed http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
77 (depends on memory)
78 Thunderbird
79 Open Office org http://www.openoffice.org/index.html
80 Evolution http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/
83 If you would like to help please feel free to email this list,
84 so we can plan a location, day and time. I you are on a mailing
85 list please re-post this to that list.
86
87 Lets start talking!
88 Thanks
89 Selso DaSilva
90 Community Free Software Group, Inc.
91 New York
92 http://cfsg.org
96 Do You Yahoo!?
97 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
98 http://mail.yahoo.com
102 Selso K. DaSilva
103 Community Free Software Group
104 http://cfsg.org