From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:04:52
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2011 09:50 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 01/22/2011 12:31 AM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> [...]
6 >>>> And I thought there was something weird with me on this one. o_O I did
7 >>>> switch it back to AHCI after I got done booting the CD thingy. I
8 >>>> really
9 >>>> can't tell any difference in speed between the two and neither could
10 >>>> hdparm -tT either.
11 >>>
12 >>> hdparm measures raw throughput when reading continuously from one
13 >>> position to another. AHCI improves performance when the disk needs to
14 >>> read from several different places, which is the case in every day
15 >>> use. It does this by providing a feature similar to what SCSI
16 >>> provides: native command queuing (NCQ). You can read about what this
17 >>> is and why we want it here:
18 >>>
19 >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing
20 >>
21 >> Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
22 >> what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
23 >
24 > By running a benchmark tool that does exactly this. IOzone is a nice
25 > one:
26 >
27 > http://www.iozone.org
28 >
29 > It's in portage: "app-benchmarks/iozone".
30
31 I installed it but trying to figure out how to use it. Jeez, what a man
32 page. O_O
36 >> Also, does or can the kernel override the BIOS setting? I think it uses
37 >> AHCI no matter what is in the BIOS. It seems it would be at least some
38 >> difference in speed.
39 >
40 > The kernel can't change this setting and has no access to it whatsoever.
43 I didn't think so but thought it worth asking. Seems to be some
44 confusion on this.
45
46 Dale
47