From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:54:11
1 On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>> Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
4 >>> what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
5 >>
6 >> By running a benchmark tool that does exactly this.  IOzone is a nice one:
7 >>
8 >>  http://www.iozone.org
9 >>
10 >> It's in portage: "app-benchmarks/iozone".
11 >
12 > I installed it but trying to figure out how to use it.  Jeez, what a man
13 > page.  O_O
16 Yeah, it's a tough one. Also, very slow, assuming I understand it
17 correctly. You have to use file sizes larger than the memory of the
18 system, so on a 24GB system it takes (literally) a day or two to run.
19 (Assuming I actually understood the man page!) ;-)
20
21 - Mark