From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:04:33
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >
5 >>>> Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
6 >>>> what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
7 >>>>
8 >>> By running a benchmark tool that does exactly this. IOzone is a nice one:
9 >>>
10 >>> http://www.iozone.org
11 >>>
12 >>> It's in portage: "app-benchmarks/iozone".
13 >>>
14 >> I installed it but trying to figure out how to use it. Jeez, what a man
15 >> page. O_O
18 > Yeah, it's a tough one. Also, very slow, assuming I understand it
19 > correctly. You have to use file sizes larger than the memory of the
20 > system, so on a 24GB system it takes (literally) a day or two to run.
21 > (Assuming I actually understood the man page!) ;-)
22 >
23 > - Mark
28 I found this command and it worked pretty well. It does take a good
29 while to run tho. It wasn't to bad on my new rig but the old rig did
30 take a little while.
31
32 iozone -R -l 5 -u 5 -r 4k -s 100m -F /home/f1 /home/f2 /home/f3 /home/f4
33 /home/f5 | tee -a /tmp/iozone_results.txt &
34
35 The results were much different than what hdparm shows. It shows the
36 3Gbs/sec like they advertise they can do. I wonder which is more
37 accurate? :/
38
39 Dale
40