From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 17:08:25
1 On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> Other than copying a file and using time to measure how long it takes,
9 >>>>> what is the best test of a hard drive's speed?
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>> By running a benchmark tool that does exactly this.  IOzone is a nice
13 >>>> one:
14 >>>>
15 >>>>  http://www.iozone.org
16 >>>>
17 >>>> It's in portage: "app-benchmarks/iozone".
18 >>>>
19 >>>
20 >>> I installed it but trying to figure out how to use it.  Jeez, what a man
21 >>> page.  O_O
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>
25 >> Yeah, it's a tough one. Also, very slow, assuming I understand it
26 >> correctly. You have to use file sizes larger than the memory of the
27 >> system, so on a 24GB system it takes (literally) a day or two to run.
28 >> (Assuming I actually understood the man page!) ;-)
29 >>
30 >> - Mark
35 > I found this command and it worked pretty well.  It does take a good while
36 > to run tho.  It wasn't to bad on my new rig but the old rig did take a
37 > little while.
38 >
39 > iozone -R -l 5 -u 5 -r 4k -s 100m -F /home/f1 /home/f2 /home/f3 /home/f4
40 > /home/f5 | tee -a /tmp/iozone_results.txt &
41 >
42 > The results were much different than what hdparm shows.  It shows the
43 > 3Gbs/sec like they advertise they can do.  I wonder which is more accurate?
44 >  :/
45 >
46 > Dale
47
48 Hi Dale,
49 Good command, but it's missing one parameter that will likely make
50 your results more meaningful. Try it again with the -e parameter
51 added. I'll limit the tests also to just the initial write and read
52 tests to give you something else to thiink about:
53
54 iozone -R -l 5 -u 5 -r 4k -s 100m -i 0 -i 1 -e -F /home/f1 /home/f2
55 /home/f3 /home/f4 /home/f5 | tee -a /tmp/iozone_results.txt &
56
57 I'll be more than happy to explain later why I suggested the
58 changes, but in the spirit of someone's earlier comments about people
59 doing research, give some thought to the results you get and see if
60 you can explain to yourself why -e makes a difference. Do you believe
61 the results you get are meaningful?
62
63 If you want another good experiment, remove -e and make the files
64 much larger, like 2g if you have an 8GB or DRAM. Again, explain to
65 yourself why this makes a difference. If you do this experiment you
66 _really_ should just do the -i 0 test only your first time through...
67 ;-) (HINT: You might want to open another terminal, run top and when
68 in top hit iz and maybe m if you're not showing memory usage...)
69
70 Cheers,
71 Mark