From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Binary install distro
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:40:10
1 On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 12:25:11 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > This is maybe a bit off topic but here goes. I want to install Linux
7 > on my brothers rig. The heat sink on the CPU is not much, OEM type.
8 > I don't want to install Gentoo because of that and it is a older rig
9 > with a slow CPU and not a lot of ram either. So, what is a easy to
10 > install distro that has KDE4, Seamonkey, gtkam, GIMP and such?
11
12 Almost any general-purpose distro out there will have those. It really
13 doesn't matter which one you pick so go with the one that has
14 wallpapers your brother likes.
15
16 Hey, seeing as the distro itself is not so relevant actually, you
17 might as well pick any old arbitrary differentiator. Wallpapers are as
18 good as any.
22 > I
23 > want something easy because I want to install and leave it be until
24 > he can get a new rig built. Then I'll be installing Gentoo for a
25 > more permanent install.
26 >
27 > I looked at Kubuntu, Ubuntu and tried to install Mandriva. Mandriva
28 > got to a point and just froze up on me. I tried three times and it
29 > did the same thing each time so no clue what is going on there.
30 >
31 > Ideas?
32 >
33 > Dale