From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage wants KDE4, I don't
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:19:06
1 On November 25, 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > I didn't unmask nor keyword any *KDE4* stuff. Only KDE3. Previous
3 > portage was happy with that. The new portage is not. I have dozens of
4 > packages in package.keywords that look like this:
5 >
6 > kde-base/kdelibs
7
8 in which case portage did exactly what you've asked it to. You should've
9 mentioned either which specific versions you're unmasking/keywording or
10 slots. Either way it's not a bug it's a true feature.
11
12 > Now portage wants to install the 4.1 versions of all those. The
13 > previous portage did not; I had to tell it to keyword the 4.1 versions
14 > if I wanted that.
15
16 It exhibits proper behavior, what's wrong with that? I'd be surprised if I ran
17 system with blanket keyworded kde builds (no slot or version mentioning) and
18 portage wouldn't suggest KDE4 install. KDE4 is a successor of KDE3 so it's
19 all correct. The fact that you've enabled ~arch builds without consideration
20 for future implications doesn't constitute fault on part of portage, sorry. I
21 would suggest now and in the future either specify slot or version of package
22 you're unmasking unless you *really* know what you're doing.
23
24 P.S.
25 KDE3 and KDE4 would live happily alongside each other as long as you have
26 USE="kdeprefix" specified in /etc/make.conf .
29 Dmitry Makovey
30 Web Systems Administrator
31 Athabasca University
32 (780) 675-6245