From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:00:24
1 On 2013-09-28 12:01 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > There is no reason to rebuild your server; we aren't telling you you
3 > have to merge /usr into /. The only thing we are saying is that you will
4 > need to use an initramfs if you are going to keep them separate.
5
6 Which, if you even bothered to read the words in the posts of the people
7 who are pushing back on this so much as to their specific *reasons* that
8 this is a problem, is the whole point...
9
10 I am reasonably good at following instructions, but I am paranoid when
11 it comes to researching before doing something that has even a remote
12 potential for breaking one of my systems - and the horror stories I've
13 read involving the whole initramfs deal just makes it clear that it is
14 just one more single point of failure that has a very GOOD chance of
15 breaking every time I upgrade my kernel or certain critical USERLAND
16 tools (like LVM) (I do NOT use genkernel or dracut and I do NOT want to
17 have to START using them), I update them manually, and I'm comfortable
18 with that.
19
20 I have said more than once in these threads that I do *not* have a
21 philosophical (or other) reason for wanting to keep them separate, so,
22 my ONLY other choice (if I want to stick with gentoo, which I do) is to
23 merge /usr back into /.
24
25 I've been told that this shouldn't be a big deal... while I am a
26 (barely) passable linux sys admin - I am NOT a programmer, I do NOT know
27 how to interpret vague boot errors or TRACE a process to see where or
28 why it is failing (much less fix it if I could), so if something breaks
29 badly, I'll be like a fish out of water...