From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to read raw mouse events
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 06:08:59
1 On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Bastiaan wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 17 January 2006 09:11, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I have a headless embedded Gentoo system. I'm using an optical mouse to
7 >> detect rotation of a wheel. I don't need to know how fast or in what
8 >> direction, but I do need to know whether it is turning or not.
9 >>
10 >> As it is headless, I have not bothered to install X. I'm diskless, so I
11 >> don't have lots of memory to waste. (I'm running out of a 256M CF card.)
12 >>
13 >> I expect that somewhere in the chain of drivers I can tap into a stream
14 >> of bytes coming from the mouse, and that if the mouse stops moving that
15 >> stream stops. Or otherwise changes.
16 >>
17 >> Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for how to do this?
18 >>
19 >> Thanks,
20 >> Michael
23 > you can just cat /dev/mice or whatever your mouse device is.
24 > --
27 That's it. It works. Too cool.
28
29 Thanks to you and the others who suggested the same thing,
30 Michael
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list