From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best choice for a dual core
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:26:23
1 On Thursday 27 July 2006 15.10, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Thierry de Coulon wrote:
3 > > I've got 2 GB and it will (have to) stay so
4 >
5 > Okay, so you won't need one of the main features of 64bit machines -
6 > larger addressable space of RAM.
7 >
8 > Will you do number crunching with floating point numbers or with
9 > large integers?
10 >
11 > If not, then you won't use those advantages either. Somebody correct
12 > me, but if you want to WORK with this machine (ie. not fiddle), I'd
13 > suggest to stay 32bit. Or what advantages would 64bit provide?
14 >
15 > Alexander Skwar
16
17 Thanks, that's more or less what I thought. No the machine is a bit of an
18 "accident" (I bought the wrong CPU for another board and then decided to
19 build a machine to see what "dual core" really brings) so, if I keep it, it
20 will do "Work" and may be also a little "game" :))
21
22 The "dual core" seems to give more "bogomips" than my main machine (a dual
23 Opteron, and that one runs a 64 bit OS) but I'd like to see how this
24 translates in everyday life.
25
26 Thierry
27 --