From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 02:02:28
1 On Jan 16, 2012 3:56 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:54:51 -0500
4 > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:30:03AM -0500, Tanstaafl wrote
7 > >
8 > > > This is nothing like changing the port for SSH - a port scanner can
9 > > > figure that one out in seconds...
10 > >
11 > > A real BOFH would set up a dummy instance of sshd on the regular
12 > > port, as well as a real sshd instance on another port. The dummy
13 > > instance could be set up to always fail the login attempt, and with
14 > > special iptable rules to not clutter up your logfile.
17 > Actually a real sysadmin[1] would run ssh standardly plus OSSEC with
18 > active rules and dynamically block our Chinese friends
19 >
20 > [1] "real sysadmin" being defined as the quintessentially lazy dude who
21 > is really not into causing himself pain or doing anything that would
22 > increase support tickets in his inbox
25 That depends on who are authorized to access the boxen via SSH. In my case,
26 only the IT Division is authorized to access them via SSH, so the "real
27 sysadmin" in me (g) decides it is much easier to shift the port rather than
28 implementing esoteric hardening stuffs ;-)
29
30 Plus, I get the benefit of ridiculing any IT guy/gal who managed to get
31 him-/herself locked out (thanks to the auto-blacklist) B-)
32
33 Rgds,