From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:02:48
1 On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:23:33AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote
2
3 > That depends on who are authorized to access the boxen via SSH. In my case,
4 > only the IT Division is authorized to access them via SSH, so the "real
5 > sysadmin" in me (g) decides it is much easier to shift the port rather than
6 > implementing esoteric hardening stuffs ;-)
7 >
8 > Plus, I get the benefit of ridiculing any IT guy/gal who managed to get
9 > him-/herself locked out (thanks to the auto-blacklist) B-)
10
11 The opposite of auto-blacklisting is port-knocking. Think of it as
12 auto-unblacklisting, where the world is blacklisted by default. See...
13
14 http://www.hostsvault.com/blog/howto-protect-services-like-ssh-against-brute-force-using-only-iptables-port-knocking/
15
16 The idea is that your external service is blocked to everybody by
17 default. When an external IP address "knocks" in sequence on the right
18 3 ports (specified in iptables), it is then allowed a few seconds to
19 establish a connection (ssh/ftp/whatever).
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>