From: Alessio Ababilov <ilovegnulinux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 18:08:40
1 2013/8/13 the <the.guard@××××.ru>
2
3 > The site doesn't describe any real problems.
4 >
5 Well, it is a question to discuss.
6 I am not going to begin a holy war, I would like just to provide a
7 possibility to perform a harmless /usr merge for those who share
8 FreeDesktop's opinion.
11 > Also I don't see how the current dir tree is not compatible
12 > with gnu autoconf/automake.
13 >
14 In a simple way: please look at coreutils-8.20.ebuild that has to move a
15 lot of binaries from /usr/bin to /bin:
16
17 cd "${D}"/usr/bin
18 dodir /bin
19 # move critical binaries into /bin (required by FHS)
20 local fhs="cat chgrp chmod chown cp date dd df echo false
21 ln ls
22 mkdir mknod mv pwd rm rmdir stty sync true uname"
23 mv ${fhs} ../../bin/ || die "could not move fhs bins"
24
25 2013/8/13 pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
26
27 > So, how would this work for me who have /usr on a separate harddrive?
28 >
29 If you have an initrd, it will work.
30 Anyway, I just look for people that are interested in /usr merge.
31
32 And what would be the benefit? To me, mentioning Fedora, makes the alarm
33 > bells go off...
34 >
35 Yes. it does. Fedora is a big distro sponsored by Red Hat and its /usr
36 merge will be in RHEL-7. That's not a great idea to fight against upstream
37 if it will do /usr merge. Remember, /bin/mail now is moved to /usr/bin/mail
38 - what will be the next?
39
40 Sincerely,
41 Alessio Ababilov