From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 17:21:26
1 On 12/25/2012 12:07 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Dec 25, 2012 10:44 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > <SNIP>
6 >>> With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
7 >>> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
8 > <SNIP>
9 >>
10 >> For your usage, I think ext3 is the most suitable.
11 >>
12 >> Do you have another fs in mind?
13 >
14 > Really, no. ext3 has been fine. I didn't see any real advantage to
15 > ext4 myself. Florian offers the removal argument but I've never
16 > removed files from this database. It's just movies so the systems just
17 > grows over time.
18 >
19 > I suppose I wondered whether some other filesystem might get through
20 > an fsck _much_ faster.
23 There's really no reason to use ext3 over ext4. Ext4 does have a faster
24 fsck.