From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: SSH won't restart
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:20:08
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:25:07 +0200 Alexander Skwar
4 <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
5
6 > A "/etc/init.d/sshd stop" won't kill any SSH sessions. It'll
7 > simply the sshd "master process". Because of that, additional
8 > logins won't be possible.
9
10 An /etc/init.d/sshd stop/restart can very well fail. Depending on in
11 what state this happens, it might stop accepting connections. Typical
12 conditions might be that relevant changes on-disk occurred, e.g. PAM
13 libraries, libc or similar libs that might dl() things.
14
15 OTOH, if signal handling is broken, the KILL might traverse to the
16 connection handling forked child. And that's enough to kick you out.
17
18 So I would definately prefer to always have a guaranteed working sshd
19 running (I find OpenVPN/telnet a bit strange and an unnecessary
20 potential security hole).
21
22 Your absolutely right in that restarting immediately or delayed after
23 logging out of all sessions doesn't matter at all. But it's wrong that
24 it *can't* occur that you kill your current session as well. So the
25 delay doesn't make any specific sense here. It might reduce the risk of
26 a zombie master process of sshd, but I don't see much evidence. OTOH,
27 you lose the possibility of fixing restart problems within the running
28 session. So you have to weight the risks. The real problem, however,
29 can only be overcome by another way to login. Firing up another
30 instance of sshd (on a different port) is just a matter of one simple
31 command, so I definately prefer that.
32
33 -hwh
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list