From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge --sync source
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 10:12:51
1 On Thursday, 28 February 2019 15:47:41 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > In general it is usually simplest to just remove /usr/portage anytime
4 > you change the sync settings. At least until portage gets smarter
5 > about it.
6
7 That works well on a sufficiently powerful box; it only took - oh, I don't
8 know - maybe a couple of minutes on this workstation. On my little Atom box,
9 though, it takes 75 minutes.
10
11 [OT]
12 Evidence is mounting that the Atom box is in terminal decline. I get things
13 like batches of files in the portage tree changing owner, and then when I
14 correct that, long lists of supposedly locally changed ebuilds preventing
15 syncing. And when I boot weekly into its little rescue system to backup the
16 main system, the root filesystem remounts itself read-only while tar is
17 running. Smartd recognises the SSD and runs daily tests, but reports no
18 errors. No amount of wiping and reinstalling has helped so far.
21 Regards,
22 Peter.