From: "Dustin C. Hatch" <admiralnemo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot failure using root=LABEL=RAID1root but not LABEL=RAID6root
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 15:25:07
1 On 12/31/2012 17:10, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Gentoo Installation, Kernel Panic
4 >
5 > OK, thanks. Yes, in the last post of that thread Nilesh states
6 >
7 > "Since I use grub2-mkconfig to generate the configuration, it's there
8 > with UUID, but it works with LABEL as well, I have tried it.
9 > Also, *don't* build your kernel *without* initramfs, because the
10 > kernel by default doesn't support mounting by LABELs or UUIDs (I think
11 > so, I've had failures w/o initrd)."
12 >
13 > While I don't know Nilesh's background, I have no reason to really
14 > doubt what he says here I seem to find a lot of posts on the web where
15 > people mount using UUID and they aren't clear as to whether they have
16 > an initramfs or not.
17 >
18 > I'll consider this solved for now with one caveat that it's unclear
19 > when you build the initramfs what tools have to be placed within it to
20 > make the following true.
21 >
22 > 1) No initramfs - mount by device name only
23 >
24 > 2) With initramfs - mount by device name, label or UUID.
25 >
26 > Thanks VERY MUCH for taking the time to find this. I'm removing the
27 > offending option from my grub.config file.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Mark
33 The other wiki has a page[1] about building an initramfs that includes a
34 section on writing a linuxrc script to support exactly that. I have
35 since switched to Genkernel, but I used to have a hand-built initramfs
36 containing very little besides that script block.
37
38 [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs#UUID.2FLABEL_Root_Mounting
41 ♫Dustin