From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:17:49
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:35:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > <x11-libs/libXfont-1.5.0 required by
4 > (x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4-r4:0/1.12.4::gentoo, installed)
5 >
6 > This means that you have xorg-server-1.12.4-r4 installed which depends
7 > on libXfont with this limitation: <x11-libs/libXfont-1.5.0
8 >
9 > You only get that sort of emerge output when portage is forced to
10 > install a package that is NOT latest due to some other package having a
11 > constraint on it dependencies. Look at eix for libXfont, there's a
12 > version 1.5.1 available but portage can't use it because of limitations
13 > from your current version of xorg-server.
14 >
15 > The same process applies to fontsproto as well.
16 >
17 > There is nothing for you to do with this output, it is informational
18 > (but not labelled as such so you can see it). Maybe run emerge without
19 > -v, see if that removes the output
20
21 Running without -v doesn't help. I almost never use -v with emerge, it's
22 output is verbose enough as it is and burying useful messages in even
23 more trivial, not-for-users output makes decoding it even harder.
24
25 emerge really needs an option to hide such "informational" messages. Even
26 if they really were informative, that are not necessary to maintaining a
27 functioning system. When I tell portage to update my system to the latest
28 suitable versions of everything, I have no need to be told "there is a
29 later version for libfoo, but you can't have it". I just want the latest
30 I can have.
31
32 It doesn't help that these warning messages have a superficial
33 resemblance to blocker errors.
34
35 emerge --just-tell-me-when-something-is-wrong @world please.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 I can't walk on water, but I can stagger on alcohol.