From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local mail server
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 07:51:31
1 On 29/07/20 00:18, james wrote:
2 > It's the bandwidth provider's policy. Static IPs (4 or 6) requires a
3 > monthly fee. If you know a way around this, with full privileges one
4 > gets with static IP addresses, I'm all ears.....?
5
6 ????? I can understand a fee for a static IP4 - they've run out, after
7 all, and people are fighting over them ...
8
9 Don't ISPs get a 2^64 allocation of IP6 *network* addresses? They should
10 just allocate one to your router and that's that! Still, I wouldn't put
11 it past them to charge extra for what should be free.
12 >
13 > I do not want some limited/dysfunctional solution. I want/need the full
14 > ability of what static IPs addresses bring. (all ports open etc).
15
16 That's not what a static IP brings, that's what a "globally known" IP
17 brings - if your router advertises its address to something like dyndns
18 every time it starts, you'll have the same result. Snag is, that's a
19 chargeable subscription, I believe.
20 >
21 > I am curious about your details via IPv6 and static (permanently
22 > assigned ) addresses.
23
24 That's why I need to dig and investigate :-) My first ISP in the days of
25 dial-up allocated a static IP as a matter of course. Not only was it
26 useful to use, it suited them because customers could only use it on one
27 computer at a time otherwise routing got screwed up :-)
28
29 Then we went to broadband, and in effect it was static because the
30 modem/router was always on ...
33 It'll be interesting digging through all this. Just try and make sure
34 you use your router as a firewall. I think my router drops all incoming
35 connections BY DEFAULT. But I can open up any port I want, either to
36 re-route to an internal computer or just pass through to it.
37
38 My first investigations would be (1) how do I advertise my router's
39 network address on dyndns, and (2) once the outside world knows my IP,
40 how do I let stuff through my router/firewall.
41
42 Cheers,
43 Wol