From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fw: [gentoo-user] Whole lotta minimal
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 00:40:05
1 On Wednesday 20 September 2006 23:58, Grant wrote:
2 > > > Can someone explain the great minimal breakout happening in portage or
3 > > > point me toward a link? Is USE="minimal" in make.conf the kind of
4 > > > thing you should do if you don't have a specific reason not to, or the
5 > > > kind of thing you shouldn't do unless you have a specific reason to.
6 > > >
7 > > > - Grant
8 > >
9 > > The second one, but I can't come up with any possible reason for doing
10 > > so. The actual problem is that the flag has no 'real' global meaning,
11 > > which means that it might turn off some 'unnecessary' features in one
12 > > application and turn off one of the most useful in another.
13 > >
14 > > So don't gamble with it. :)
15 >
16 > Ok, good to know. Can anyone report any packages they prefer to run
17 > with USE="minimal" ?
18
19 xorg-server on a headless system.
20 It allows you to install X dependent packages and run them remotely (over ssh)
21 without having to install the complete X server. (you can also disable
22 the "xorg" flag since you won't need any input/output drivers)
23
24 mysql on a client system.
25 This only installs the libraries that are needed for clients.
26 For instance if you need your apache/php webserver to talk to mysql but have
27 no need for a local mysqlserver.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list