From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:03:13
1 On 7/7/06, Rafael Fernández López <info@××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > This is not flame war. I love Gentoo, and it is the distribution that
8 > fits me perfectly, but I've been wondering this last year what things
9 > can be improved in this wonderful distro.
10
11 I've got a small list of personal pet peeves as well. However,
12 overall Gentoo is beyond excellent. It also gets the honour of being
13 the Distro I've stuck with the longest.
14
15 > The first thing that I'd change is "etc-update" or "dispatch-conf". I'd
16 > suggest to create some kind of tool like "dpkg-reconfigure" in Debian.
17 > More intuitive than reading /etc files and writing them by hand that is
18 > more probably to be mistaken when writing.
19
20 Might want to include parts of dpkg in that tool. No sense in
21 re-inventing the wheel, eh?
22
23 > Second thing that I'd improve is a security one. I know that "emerge"
24 > is a very cared package, but it is a script. Suppose that someone
25 > commits portage with a emerge failure in its code (he forgot a comma
26 > !!)... if someone updates portage won't be able to update it again
27 > because it will fail ever and ever again... So I suggest to have a
28 > backuped emerge script that we are sure that worked (like the last
29 > emerge tool that was used), and if the new emerge tool is mistaken (so
30 > that user doesn't need to know python) only has to run "regenemerge" for
31 > example, and will have the latest emerge working tool.
32
33 It wouldn't have gotten off of the guy's test box I'd think.
36 My personal gripe is how slow emerge is on just plain old emerge-ish
37 things. That we have to use things like eix to search is pathetic.
38 This NEVER happened in Debian.
39
40 I also am considering trying to adapt aptitude to Gentoo. I think
41 aptitude is the best thing since... anyways, I love aptitude and want
42 to make it portage-friendly. Just having a command-line package
43 browser like aptitude in Gentoo would be awesome.
44
45 Now is the time to tell me how incredibly stupid I am for imagining
46 something like that. Otherwise I might just fire up KDevelop, grab a
47 copy of aptitude, and start working. I'm known to do things like
48 that.
49
50 > If I have more ideas I'll tell ya.
51
52 Same here.
56 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
57 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
58 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
59 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
60 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list