From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:18:36
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > My personal gripe is how slow emerge is on just plain old emerge-ish
3 > things. That we have to use things like eix to search is pathetic.
4 > This NEVER happened in Debian.
5
6 Yeah, emerge should probably start caching this info for faster
7 searches. emerge overall though got a pretty solid speedup in 2.1.
8
9 > I also am considering trying to adapt aptitude to Gentoo. I think
10 > aptitude is the best thing since... anyways, I love aptitude and want
11 > to make it portage-friendly. Just having a command-line package
12 > browser like aptitude in Gentoo would be awesome.
13 >
14 > Now is the time to tell me how incredibly stupid I am for imagining
15 > something like that. Otherwise I might just fire up KDevelop, grab a
16 > copy of aptitude, and start working. I'm known to do things like
17 > that.
18
19 Might wanna take a look through the stuff in app-portage/ before you
20 start. I'm a fan of porthole.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie