From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 04:06:51
1 On 7/7/06, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > Lord Sauron wrote:
3 > > My personal gripe is how slow emerge is on just plain old emerge-ish
4 > > things. That we have to use things like eix to search is pathetic.
5 > > This NEVER happened in Debian.
6 >
7 > Yeah, emerge should probably start caching this info for faster
8 > searches. emerge overall though got a pretty solid speedup in 2.1.
9
10 I have 2.1 and it does have a slight increase in speed, though nothing
11 compared to debian.
12
13 > > I also am considering trying to adapt aptitude to Gentoo. I think
14 > > aptitude is the best thing since... anyways, I love aptitude and want
15 > > to make it portage-friendly. Just having a command-line package
16 > > browser like aptitude in Gentoo would be awesome.
17 > >
18 > > Now is the time to tell me how incredibly stupid I am for imagining
19 > > something like that. Otherwise I might just fire up KDevelop, grab a
20 > > copy of aptitude, and start working. I'm known to do things like
21 > > that.
22 >
23 > Might wanna take a look through the stuff in app-portage/ before you
24 > start. I'm a fan of porthole.
25
26 Kuroo is nice, however, portage still lacks the pure brilliance of
27 aptitude. If you don't know what I'm talking about, get debian (or
28 something debain-based) and screw around with aptitude a bit. The
29 think of how cool it'd be that you could use it over ssh without
30 having to use all the memory for remote desktop. Then notice how fast
31 it is once you get savvy and start to really leverage it. It's a far
32 superior piece of software, and I ended up using it rather than
33 graphical things like Adept, Synaptic, KPackage, and others. It kills
34 both porthole and Kuroo, if that's what you're asking.
38 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
39 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
40 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
41 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
42 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list