From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:28:46
1 Am Montag, 24. November 2008 02:06:04 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > I think it is LVMS or something.  Linux volume management system??  I
4 > think Redhat calls it EVMS or something.
5
6 Two things, (more ore less) one purpose:
7
8 1) LVM: Logical Volume Management
9 2) EVMS: Enterprise Volume Management System
10
11 1) is used for management of Logical Volumes, organised in Volume Groups,
12 which could be spread accross one or more Physical Volumes.
13
14 @William: If one or more of the PVs is a Network Block Device, you're not
15 bound to the local machine.
16
17 2) From IBM, not RH. It's an umbrella for the whole storage management chain
18 from fdisk over (SW-) RAID and Logical Volumes to filesystem creation and
19 maintenance.
20
21 HTH...
22