From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Extremely OT] Ansible/Puppet replacement
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 18:22:40
1 On 27/01/2015 19:49, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 >
3 > On 01/27/2015 11:33 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On 27/01/2015 10:49, Tomas Mozes wrote:
5 >>> I haven't tested it yet, however I like the minimalistic syntax.
6 >>>
7 >>> As an ansible user - do you plan to allow using default values for
8 >>> modules and/or variables?
9 >>
10 >> +1 for that.
11 >>
12 >> I'm also a happy ansible user with zero plans to change, but I can't
13 >> imagine a deployment tool without sane rational explicit defaults. A
14 >> whole host of problems simply stop being problems if that feature is
15 >> available.
18 > I'm curious, what exactly do you mean about default values? Is there a
19 > small example you can give me? The tutorial on Ansible's website is a
20 > little confusing.
21
22 When I saw your other reply to Tomas, I thought you might ask that
23 question :-)
24
25 What I was thinking of is defaults like you find in roles on galaxy. In
26 a sub-dir called defaults you find a file main.yml containing variables
27 defaults as key-value pairs. A good example is Stouts.openvpn, it has eg
30 openvpn_proto: udp
33 If you don't define those vars yourself in the playbook, the role uses
34 those defaults, which is exactly what you want - they match upstream
35 default.
36
37 The location is very explicit, the defaults are in a named file in an
38 obvious location and there's no mysterious automagic.
39
40 I definitely wasn't talking about crazy magic permission modes like the
41 suggestion you mentioned in the other mail.
42
43 A default mode is fine, but make it a variable called "mode" or "umask"
44 that we can see in a file and make it what we want. I think we do agree
45 on this :-)
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com