From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some problems while migrating to 64bit
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:08:25
1 Jes??s J. Guerrero Botella <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com> [10-09-15 01:49]:
2 > 2010/9/13 <meino.cramer@×××.de>:
3 > > 1.) The fonts of mrxvt are microscopic tiny...my home and .mrxvt
4 > >    remained the same. Are fonts not reported to "world" when emerged?
5 > >    What are the basic fonts I need before buying new glasses?
6 >
7 > Maybe you forgot some use flag or something. To use truetype fonts in
8 > mrxvt you need to turn that flag on. I also have no idea about mrxvt,
9 > but most terminal emulators read their configs from ~/.Xdefaults,
10 > check the mrxvt man page and/or docs.
13 > > 2.) Mouse does not work. Hald is up, fdi-rules are copied from my old
14 > >    system, /dev/input/mice is there, gpm (started for a test) sees
15 > >    the mouse, xf86-input-mouse is recompiled, dbus is running.
16 > >    What's wrong? X.org.log reports "no device defined for mouse"...
17 > >    my xorg.conf does not define such...but it is the same xorg.conf,
18 > >    which works under 32bit env.
19 > >    So....
20 >
21 > So, latest Xorg doesn't use hal. I can't be sure since you are not
22 > telling us what xorg version you are using. Since 1.8 X uses udev
23 > instead.
24 >
25 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
28 > > 3.) Keyboard behaves somehow strange. German Umlauts works, but "|"
29 > >    does not...it performs something like a crazy backspace or so.
30 > >    And a UNIX without a working pipe is not really making me happy...
31 >
32 > If it happens only under X, then it's the same issue that you have
33 > with your mouse. Configure it using the new method.
36 > > 4.) As someone already reports to the list: k3b does not find any
37 > >    burner, cdrom, dvd-drive. /dev/sr0 exist and is linked to dvd.
38 >
39 > Probably a k3b and/or udev issue. I can't help with this one. But I
40 > think I've seen something about k3b lately in the forums. Might worth
41 > a check.
42 >
43 > >    I even can boot from dvd...
44 >
45 > That's nothing to do with linux, but your BIOS. A different land.
48 > Regards.
51 > --
52 > Jesús Guerrero Botella
55 Hi,
56
57 thank you for your reply and explanations, Jesus! :)
58
59 The problems are nearly gone in the meanwhile: The HAL-flag
60 was missing for the xorg-sevrer (1.7), after that mouse was
61 recognized and the keyboard was fully functional (with pipes) again.
62
63 Fonts: I simply missed to install a couple of fonts. But why they
64 was not in my old "world" file...dont know.
65
66 k3b: Fixed. It is an issue with dbus having not enough rights
67 to rebort to hald which again was used by a user-land application
68 like k3b. I "fixed" this by badly manipulation /etc/dbus-1/system.conf
69 (see other mail from me of today).
70
71 So my system now seems to work under 64bit. Rendering becomes 30% faster!
72 Oh yeah! ;)
73
74 Best regards,
75 mcc