From: "Ciprian Dorin
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: initramfs & RAID at boot time
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:06:03
1 On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:16, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:57:38 +0300, Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
3 >
4 >>     Also a question for about /boot on RAID1... I didn't manage to
5 >> make it work... Could you Neil please tell me exactly how you did
6 >> this? I'm most interested in how you've convinced Grub to work...
7 >
8 > You just don't tell GRUB that it's working with one half of a RAID1
9 > array. Unlike all other RAID level, with 1 you can also access the
10 > individual disks.
11 >
12 > --
13 > Neil Bothwick
16 Well I've tried exactly that: I've aggregated two partitions in
17 RAID1, made the file system, then tried to install Grub on them (as in
18 run grub-setup or grub-install or grub and then from the shell the
19 setup)... And I didn't succeeded. I've tried the following:
20 * try to install Grub on the MD as it would have been a partition
21 -- failed (as expected as the MD device is not on a hard-drive);
22 * stopped the MD, and then tried to install grub on each partition
23 individually -- it worked to install, but from a reason I don't
24 remember right now it failed to boot;
25
26 So what intrigues me is how you've initialized the MBR, how you've
27 runned grub-setup?
28
29 (In the end I am more pleased with two boot partitions, as if I
30 miss-configure one, I'll have the other one to boot from. I've also
31 cross-referenced the grub menu to chain-load the other disk.)
32
33 Thanks,
34 Ciprian.