From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:46:25
1 On 27/08/2013 13:36, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-26 2:23 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> I run it on my NASes, and the thing that really sold me was what it lets
4 >> me as the admin do:
5 >>
6 >> I get all the benefits of directories with none of the downsides.
7 >> I get all the benefits of mount points with none of the downsides.
8 >> I get all the benefits of discrete filesystems with none of the
9 >> downsides.
10 >>
11 >> Like you say, a truly modern fs built for modern needs.
12 >
13 > Are these home-built NAS's running FreeBSD (or maybe FreeNAS)? Or
14 > TrueNAS or Nexenta boxes?
15 >
16 > I'm wondering what the best way would be to get something set up for ZFS
17 > file storage. I have some older servers that I can use, so was leaning
18 > toward FreeNAS...
21 Mine are HP mini-servers (the cube shaped ones) with 4 SATA bays running
22 FreeNAS 8.0.something.
23
24 Dunno if you've worked with FreeNAS before, but it's literally a case of
25 write the image to USB or flash storage and boot off it. Then play.
26
27 You will need to be able to boot off a USB stick, CF card or similar,
28 FreeNAS uses an entire drive for it's system partition and it's a shame
29 to waste a whole high-capacity disk just for a 2G system image
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com