From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Too terse error message from emerge.
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:13:58
1 On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 04:54:47PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Dale.
3 >
4 > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 06:33:47AM -0600, Dale wrote:
5 > > J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 > > > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
7 >
8 > > >> Another question - is there any sensible way of cutting the unnecessary
9 > > >> stuff out of SANE_BACKENDS? That variable is set in the ebuild, and it
10 > > >> doesn't feel the Right Thing to edit the ebuild file.
11 >
12 > > >>> --
13 > > >>> - Yohan Pereira
14 > > > Set it in 'make.conf'.
15 >
16 > > > --
17 > > > Joost
20 > > If you are like me and not sure what to search for, this is a example:
21 >
22 > > SANE_BACKENDS="avision"
23 >
24 > Thanks. For me it's SANE_BACKENDS="plustek". Not sure why, since it's a
25 > Canon scanner. Got that info from running sane and opening its info
26 > window.
27 >
28 > > You would almost certainly need to replace that avision. I found a used
29 > > scanner only to find out why they didn't want it either, it was broke.
30 > > lol
31 >
32 > I got mine given me by somebody who'd just upgraded to Windows 7; it
33 > didn't work in W7. Haven't you got to love Microsoft? ;-)
34 >
35 > > If you do a emerge -vp <sane package>, it should show you the available
36 > > options. You could google for them to but emerge could be faster.
37 >
38 > > Hope that helps.
39 >
40 > > Dale
41 >
42 > > :-) :-)
43 >
44 > --
45 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
46
47 Oh, I feel your pain, and won't go back there.
48
49 When we moved back to the States and opened the comp shop, we bought a
50 HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910. It does everything (including scanning) from an
51 embedded webserver. Just type it's IP in your browser and you can do whatever
52 you want with a multifunction printer. Scanning has never been easier, the
53 quality has never been even close, and it's so extremely nice to have a
54 printer that works ... every function.
55
56 We've always used HP printers with Linux because they supply drivers; but now,
57 more than ever, I wouldn't consider anything else.
58
59 Just my 2c...
60 --
61 Happy Penguin Computers >')